March 27th, 2015 - Port Douglas, Australia - Day 223

Peter's POV 

Today was another big day. Our days in Port Douglas are nearing the end so we are trying to fit all of the things that we wanted to see in before we leave. Today we went to the Great Barrier Reef. Our day started at 6:30 we made breakfast and packed our bags for a big day on the reef. When we got to the marina we were informed that we were 15 minutes early. When we walked around the docks the first thing that meets your eye is two giant Quicksilver boats. Lea immediately said, please tell me that is our boat, because I wouldn't get sick on that. We said that it wasn't and moved on. When we thought we found our boat we were all very happy with it, it looked like a giant sailboat. We soon realised that we were looking another Quicksilver boat that was called Wave Runner which we got confused because the company that we were going with was called Wave Length. When we boarded the boat we got our jellyfish suits and were informed to put our bags in cubbies in the front of the boat because the back would get wet.

When we finally got out away from the marina we were immediately hit by some waves. One of Lea's biggest problems about taking a boat out to the Great Barrier Reef was that it required a hour and thirty minute boat ride. Luckily we got some sea sickness pills that seemed to help for a little while. When we got to the first dive site we were greeted by amazing coral and some very cool fish. The coral was all different shapes, colors and sizes. About 10 minutes into our first site I looked around to find where my dad was and saw that he had a little fish swimming on his stomach like the fish do with sharks. We had about an hour of snorkelling before we moved on to the next site. 

We decided to go up to the top of the boat to see what it looked like. When we got to the top deck we were amazed. The view was incredible you could see the blues and greens of the coral and the sand. At the next site we joined a tour where the guides would go around show everyone certain things around the reef. 

When we were finished with the snorkeling at the second site we had lunch and the marine biologist on board talked about all of the fish and coral that we could see on the reef. When we made it to the final snorkel site we all hopped into the water. The site was called turtle bay because turtles are a common siting here. After being in the water for about five minutes I felt something  hit my leg immediately I knew it was my St. Christopher necklace, I thought that it was inside my jellyfish suit but when I got onto the boat to find that it wasn't inside my suit I knew that I felt it on the outside of the suit and it was down about 20 feet below us on the ocean floor. I hopped back in and looked to see if I could find it I figured out that only the actual charm fell not the whole necklace and knew that there was no way that we would be able to find it. One of the guides on the boat had a scuba tank and went down to look for it but still couldn't find it. 

We went and saw the turtle and swam around at the second site for a while, the fish were awesome but the coral was less colorful than the first and second sites. 

After we were done snorkeling for the day we made our way back to Port Douglas. In the end I would have rather left my necklace at the Great Barrier Reef than in an airport or at a crappy hotel. When we got back to our house we got dressed and were about to head out to dinner when Lea told everyone that she couldn't eat because she wasn't feeling good so we went and grabbed some food and brought it back. Ending an awesome day at the reef.